Stew (see scurvy)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 17 21:35:32 EST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, deborah wrote:

> as an incurable reader of Regency romances, one of my great joys of
> life is dog earing pages with ridiculous anachronisms (not counting
> ridiculously anachronistic feminism, because that's fair within the
> genre).  My books are very dogeared.

I read a science fiction novel once in which there's a scene near the
end where the heroes are all relaxing on a beach, and one of them is
doing this very thing with a bodice-ripper set in the late twentieth
century.

(And now I'm trying to remember if it was that book, or another in
this same series, in which we learn that the same character once wrote
a scholarly paper on the Mods and the Rockers claiming that the former
gained their name because of their penchant for modernist poetry.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."