LotR and the BBCs Big Read

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 19:56:01 EST 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> >Only two books with no fantasy or sf elements in
> the
> >top 9 (although my wife would argue that the sight
> of
> >Colin Firth in a wet shirt in the BBC version of
> P&P
> >is a very major fantasy element). I can't help
> >wondering if this bias reflects the tastes of the
> >sorts of people who would vote for this rather than
> >the popluation as a whole.
>
> I find it extremely interesting also how few new
> books there are on the
> list - it sounds a little like a list of things
> people *say* they read to
> impress others. I mean, how many times can one read
> P&P? Isn't it time to
> try out something newer?
>
> Robyn

The only real suprise in the first part of the list is
how well Pullman rates (number 3 - and ahead of Harry
Potter - but his vote was split among four books [HP5
wasn't out in time to be included], with the other 3
coming at 22, 23 and 24). I think in a list like this
you expect the sentimental favorites to be at the top.
The are plenty of living authors further down the
list. I think the most represented author on the full
list of 200 is Terry Pratchett with 15 books followed
by Jacqueline Wilson with 13. What did suprise me was
the large number of sf/fantasy titles in the top 10,
at a rough count I make it about 60 books with sf or
fantasy elements overall in the list of 200.

Jon