dwj-digest

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Wed Dec 17 18:19:54 EST 2003

Minnow wrote:
There's a perfectly horrid Victorian story for children I once read, about
a little girl who longed for the pretty coloured jar in the chemist's
window; so her mother said she could have that or she could have a new
pair
of shoes as a birthday present, and she very properly opted for the jar
she
really wanted.  Then she wasn't allowed to go to a party when *everyone
else did*, because her shoes were not smart enough, and the glass jar
turned out to be just coloured water, and the moral was that one should
prefer substance over ideals, or some such yucky thing.

Does anyone happen to know the story I'm talking about?  I'd love to find
out whether my seven-year-old reading of the thing as yucky was really
justified... but since I can remember neither title nor author I'm a bit
stuck.

Your reading of it sounds dead-on to me.
This sounds very familiar to a chapter of a book by Maria Edgeworth, which
I think is called _Rosamund_.  It consists of a series of horrible stories
in which morals like that are hammered into the reader.  I happen to have
a copy of the book. Rose from Alcott's _Eight Cousins_ mentions it, I believe.
It's at my parents' house currently, but as i am going home for the
holidays Friday I can certainly check to see if my brain is
wokring properly after finals wekk (which is over at last (for me anyway)!

Laurie