LotR and the BBCs Big Read

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 15:26:06 EST 2003

Elise:
> But it occurred to me that a related question might
> be -- did Tolkien
> achieve myth?

With the results of the BBC's big read in, perhaps
JRRT did achieve myth. LOTR has been voted the most
popular book in Britain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/

The list of the final 21 in order makes interesting
reading

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks
14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame
17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres
20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

Only two books with no fantasy or sf elements in the
top 9 (although my wife would argue that the sight of
Colin Firth in a wet shirt in the BBC version of P&P
is a very major fantasy element). I can't help
wondering if this bias reflects the tastes of the
sorts of people who would vote for this rather than
the popluation as a whole.

Jon