Stew (see scurvy)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Wed Dec 17 13:25:30 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Robyn Starkey wrote:

|I read an otherwise perfectly acceptable historical novel in which a young
|William the Conqueror was being taught geography and to draw and read
|realistic 20th century-type maps ("france is coloured blue, England is
|red"). I wrote to the author.

as an incurable reader of Regency romances, one of my great joys of life
is dog earing pages with ridiculous anachronisms (not counting
ridiculously anachronistic feminism, because that's fair within the
genre).  My books are very dogeared.

Its funniest because most Regency romance authors do some small set of
very specific historical study -- they want to get exactly right when
flintlocks were introduced, and they're usually very detailed in their
military history-- but then they get completely ridiculous things wrong.

-deborah
--
Never postpone committing violence you are inclined to commit at
once. Later on, you might not be as pissed off.