Stew (see scurvy)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 23:02:24 EST 2003

Minnow reminisced

<There's a perfectly horrid Victorian story for
children I once read, about
a little girl who longed for the pretty coloured
jar in the chemist's
window; so her mother said she could have that or

she could have a new pair
of shoes as a birthday present, and she very
properly opted for the jar she
really wanted.  Then she wasn't allowed to go to
a party when *everyone
else did*, because her shoes were not smart
enough, and the glass jar
turned out to be just coloured water, and the
moral was that one should
prefer substance over ideals, or some such yucky
thing.

*I* felt the message was that she had a useless
horrible mother, because
shoes you had to have anyway was a beastly mean
birthday present.

Does anyone happen to know the story I'm talking
about?  I'd love to find
out whether my seven-year-old reading of the
thing as yucky was really
justified... but since I can remember neither
title nor author I'm a bit
stuck.>

I'm sure I read this too, and I agree
wholeheartedly  about the mother. I think I also
took on board the idea that things in shop
windows (or adverts) may lose their appeal when
you get them home. However I couldn't really see
why that should be true of the jar, so long as
you kept the water in  it could look as good in a
bedroom window as it did in the shop.
Incidentally I wonder if the chemist charged as
much for his jar of coloured water as the shoes
would have cost or did Mummy buy herself a little
trinket as well!

Unfortunately my brain is refusing to give up the
source of this story.

=====
Ven