Stew (see scurvy)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 22:00:51 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Have you ever encountered a piece by Paul Jennings (may he rest in
> peace) (no, not the children's author, the humourous columnist)
> written entirely in words untainted by Latin and Norman French?

No, but I've read "Uncleftish Beholding", Poul Anderson's well-known
piece describing elementary chemistry under similar constraints.

   "The underlying kinds of stuff are the firststuffs, which link
    together in sundry ways to give rise to the rest. Formerly we knew
    of ninety-two firststuffs, from waterstuff, the lightest and
    barest, to ymirstuff, the heaviest."

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."