Stew (see scurvy)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 16 15:54:03 EST 2003

Melissa *understood*!

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:49:20 +0000, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>>She'd like a frying pan to replace the one that's breaking up, but the
>>essential tools of the household are *not* dashitall suitable Christmas
>>presents for one individual!
>
>My mommy gave me a whole set of cookware last Christmas, and it was a good
>gift because a) I really needed it, b) I would never have bought it for
>myself, and c) it was a very nice set.  So I didn't think of it as essential
>household tools.

That's different, but don't ask me to explain why because I don't know.  It
just *is*.  Perhaps it's that you wouldn't have gone and got them for
yourself, or maybe you would have replaced a pan or two that had really had
it but the replacements wouldn't have been so nice, or something.

>Because otherwise I also do not think that essential
>household tools are right for Christmas.  Maybe if I were the kind of
>domestic person who likes cooking and salivates over specific frying
>pans...but no.

There's a perfectly horrid Victorian story for children I once read, about
a little girl who longed for the pretty coloured jar in the chemist's
window; so her mother said she could have that or she could have a new pair
of shoes as a birthday present, and she very properly opted for the jar she
really wanted.  Then she wasn't allowed to go to a party when *everyone
else did*, because her shoes were not smart enough, and the glass jar
turned out to be just coloured water, and the moral was that one should
prefer substance over ideals, or some such yucky thing.

*I* felt the message was that she had a useless horrible mother, because
shoes you had to have anyway was a beastly mean birthday present.

Does anyone happen to know the story I'm talking about?  I'd love to find
out whether my seven-year-old reading of the thing as yucky was really
justified... but since I can remember neither title nor author I'm a bit
stuck.

Whether I got it wrong or not, it has coloured my feeling about utilitarian
presents like anything.

(Book-tokens *don't count*!  Book-tokens are *good*!  Book-tokens are ...
what I never get given because they're boring.  Grum.)

>Now, if someone gave me a chef for Christmas....

I'd settle for a takeaway meal once a year!  (I gave up on the "eating out"
idea a long time ago...Now you understand why I was in favour of that
pub-meet.  Food I hadn't cooked for myself and everyone else.  Bliss.)

Minnow