LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

mecha godscylla mechagodscylla at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:56:02 EST 2003

>  And secondly, *can* an
> > allegory be unintentional?  Can it be that Tolkien specifically said he
> > didn't write an allegory, but accidentally did so anyway?
>
>Well, there's always the fallback of 'such and such can be read as an
>allegory of...'

Hiya Jenne!

But then we circle back around to writer/reader.  When I think of an
'allegory' and perhaps this is literalist, I think of a story intentionally
constructed to convey that 1:1, symbol-to-meaning message.  Then the writer
has done all the writer can do to make an allegory.   Probably I should have
been clearer about that in my post and said - an *allegorical reading* can
be one possible route of exploring a myth."

But it occurred to me that a related question might be -- did Tolkien
achieve myth?  And if we try to follow that question - we're going to have
to consider 'what is myth' or 'what does myth do' somewhere along the way,
I'd think.

>Unintentional allegories may fall into the category of archetypes (or
>'stories' as described by Terry Pratchett, I suppose...)

Ooo, what does Terry Pratchett say about stories?  And archetypes - isn't
that treading dangerously back toward the mythic?

>-- Jenne, who knows exactly what Frodo meant when he said, "No taste of
>food, no feel of water, no sound of wind, no memory of tree or grass or
>flower, no image of moon or star are left to me. I am naked in the dark,
>Sam, and there is no veil between me and the wheel of fire. I begin to see
>it even with my waking eyes, and all else fades."
>But thankfully, not right now. :)

Doing graduate work, then?  ;)