Stew (see scurvy)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 16 06:49:20 EST 2003

Paul considered:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Thinking of the frying pan as an emergency weapon, what is the
>> correct response from a woman to her husband getting her a
>> replacement frying-pan *that she has to go and buy for herself* for
>> a Christmas present?  Would the group feel that hitting him sharply
>> with the old one (Le Creuset, 10lb of cast iron) would be
>> justifiable homicide, or would that be contrary to the Spirit of
>> Christmas?
>
>Can't she just take it as a thoughtful attempt to avoid giving her a
>frying-pan she wouldn't like?

She'd like a frying pan to replace the one that's breaking up, but the
essential tools of the household are *not* dashitall suitable Christmas
presents for one individual!

He'll be giving me a set of hose-attachments for the Hoover next.  Maybe a
nice doormat, or washing-powder -- he knows I'm always using that....

>Socks are socks,

You have no idea of the horrors that can be committed in the name of socks,
if you dismiss the possibilities thus lightly.  I know a shop that sells
some quite remarkable bright mauve footcoverings with glitter in the weave,
at this time of year.

<evil grin>

>but to some people it *matters* whether a frying-pan
>is a 10lb cast iron Le Creuset or a budget aluminium job from Woolies.
>I myself am not such a person, but I can understand the desire not to
>be hit sharply by someone who is.

Hmmmm.  I think it might depend: if I had asked for a frying-pan, because
there was a particular sort I felt would enhance my life and improve the
quality of the sausages...     but I didn't, and there isn't, it's simply
that the handle of the old one has begun to shift in its fixing, and sooner
or later his bacon-and-eggs may go everywhere under the influence of some
sort of centrifugal impulse imparted to them by its starting to rotate.

ObDWJ, something similar to this idea happened once to her husband when he
was demonstrating to her how to toss a pancake: the handle and pan parted
as he jerked sharply upwards, and the pan went ceilingwards, turned through
190 degrees with stately dignity with the pancake still in it, and landed
upside-down pancake first on the gas-ring.

This cautionary tale indicates to me that the relationship between some men
and frying-pans is a somewhat uneasy one, and they shouldn't be encouraged
to fraternise.

Minnow