Stew (see scurvy)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 15 16:20:36 EST 2003

> If we blame the prevalence of stew in modern fantasy on Tolkien, on account
> of Sam's stewed rabbits, it has to be admitted that JRRT said that it took
> about an hour for that stew to be cooked, and over a very small fire at
> that.  OTOH, Mrs. Beeton suggests one-and-a-half to two hours for stewed or
> casseroled rabbit,

Hm... for boiled rabbit, here's the recipe from Mrs. Beeton I found:

Rabbit Recipes from Mrs Beeton's ALL ABOUT COOKERY, 1909.
Presented to Mrs G Stokes Bookara Siding, with the compliments of the
Sunday Times.

Rabbit -boiled

Ingredients - 1 rabbit, 1 onion, 1 carrot, ½ a turnip, a bouquet garni (
parsley, thyme, bayleaf) 6 peppercorns, salt, onion sauce, boiled or fried
bacon.

Method. Wash and truss the rabbit, put it into boiling water; when the
water reboils add the vegetables cut into large pieces, the bouquet garni,
peppercorns and a teaspoonful of salt. Cook gently from 45 to 60 minutes,
according to the age and size of the rabbit. Remove the skewers, serve on
a hot dish, coat with onion sauce, and send the remainder to the table in
a sauce boat. Serve the bacon on a separate dish, , unless small rolls are
preferred, when they may be used as a garnish. The liquor in which the
rabbit is cooked may be served separately as broth, or afterwards
converted into a white soup.
Time: from 45 to 60 minutes. Average coast 1s 9d to 2s. Sufficient, one
large rabbit for 4 persons.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I desire nothing more earnestly than that my work be a stepping-block
which others may mount to glimpse a farther horizon."