Dusting (still trying for the most brackets in subject line (was Hair-splitting (was RE: LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC)))))

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 15:00:43 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Jennifer asked
>
> >Otter wrote:
> >
> >> My degree is in hair-splitting, incidentally.
> >
> >Ah, materials science! Is a spilt hair weaker than
> half the strength of a
> >complete hair?
>
> The adolescent blonde who infests my premises says
> split *ends* of hair are
> "friable", but I'm not sure I believe her.  On the
> other hand, it might
> explain the way flat surfaces round here get covered
> in fine pale dust
> almost before I've had time to put away the duster
> after using it.
>
> Didn't someone once do research that showed dust on
> a flat polished surface
> never gets to be more than a certain depth however
> long you leave it
> undusted, and it reaches that depth within some
> surprisingly small number
> of days?  Makes me wonder why I bother, really.

I have seen this said, and of course dusting only
stirs it all up again so that it simply settles
somewhere else rather than actually goes away (at
least that's my excuse). Wasn't it Quentin Crisp who
never used to dust as he said if you used something
dust didn't settle on it and if you didn't use it the
dust was better left alone?

Jon