Stew (see scurvy)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 06:38:54 EST 2003

Minnow wrote:
> A question: is any of the stew vegetarian or vegan?
> Or is rabbit or just "meat" obligatory?

Hmmm- you never seem to see crops of beans or field peas, and you'd think that beanrows would be exploited for heroes to hide in if they existed, being they're tall while still green and thus not easy to set fire to. OTOH, I'm sure I've heard of mushrooms (creating a Savoury Smell of Frying, but there's no reason they shouldn't be Stewed instead. And all poisonous ones seem to be Evil-looking, so it sould be safe to pick anything that doesn't have a Reek of Wrongness.)
Maybe some of the stews are made of soya protein and they just don't mention it. It's nice and light to carry, after all, and they might save it for when they run out of arrows by trying to shoot squirrels. If they can get instant stews using meat, the fact that TVP takes a while to rehydrate shouldn't bother them either. A nice dollop of marmite to give it some flavour (they have Beer, they must have yeast) and perhaps a few Herbs from the hedge-wizard's stash, and you're away (maybe with the fairies, depending on *what* Herbs.)
Jennifer