Stew (see scurvy)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Dec 14 18:26:19 EST 2003

> >Ok, has anyone read Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's _Song of Sorcery_ in which
> >instant stews were the norm as the heroine's gifts were all housewifely,
> >and she could, thus, speed up the cooking of anything. ;)
>
> If that's the one that is based on "Gone with the Raggle-Taggle Gypsies-O"
> being a true(ish) account of an event, and starts with an unfortunate bard
> being very harshly treated for singing that song in the house of the girl
> who *did* run away with the gypsies, then I did, but about twenty years
> ago, I'd guess, and I'd completely forgotten an Accelerated Stew aspect in
> it.

Not only accelerated stew but expanding provisions. :)

>(If it isn't, which book *is* based etc, someone, please?)

Yes, it is.

> Should I re-read, if I can find a copy?  Does it stand the test of time, as
> it were?  There's a small bunch of semi-sequels or books set in the same
> world, too?

I think it does, though it's a bit shopworn around the corners. (Then
again, Elizabeth Scarborough's personal website consists almost entirely
of information about beadworks, not her books...) But remember, it was
part of a small but growing trend toward non-non-traditional heroines. :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_