LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 14:54:57 EST 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Here's my problem with the whole "author states"
> position: what do you do
> if you don't *know* what the author intended? Are
> you then allowed to
> interpret whatever you want? Or are you banned from
> interpretation at all,
> having no point of reference?

There are also cases where authors are quite clearly
wrong in what they say about their own work. Oryx and
Crake is still Science Fiction, even if Attwood says
it isn't. There are plenty of other examples of this
specific error on the part of authors (although I
can't think of another off hand). Just because Attwood
dosn't think O&C is Sf and didn't write it to be SF,
doesn't mean that it isn't.

Jon