LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 14 00:15:10 EST 2003

>There are certainly examples of this, and it would be surprising if there
>weren't - since authors are no more likely to be universally reasonable than
>anyone else. If letters from Jane Austen to Cassandra were discovered which
>made it clear that in her opinion the true hero of *Pride and Prejudice* was
>Mr Wickham, I doubt many of us would concede the point, author or no. On the
>other hand, I wonder how much easier it would be to come to an agreement on
>'what is reasonable' than on 'what an author intended'?

What about Austen's classic comment about Emma being a heroine she liked
but no one else would, because everyone prefers Fanny Price? If Austen had
ever said anything about Mr Wickham, I would take it with piles of salt.
Austen is a good example of an author who messes with ideas of intention
and interpretation -- I never can decide if she really is humble about her
abilities, or just being sarcastic.

Robyn