LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 13 23:57:16 EST 2003

>I think that an allegory has to be intentional.

Why?

>I'm not saying that an author's intention affects whether a work can be
>_interpreted_
>as an allegory.  In a way, _anything_ can be interpreted as an allegory.

Doesn't this contradict what you just said. If I can read something as
allegory, or make a case for an allegorical reading, then how does that
relate to your statement about it having to be intentional?

>But if the author says she or he didn't write one, then she or he didn't
>write one.

Here's my problem with the whole "author states" position: what do you do
if you don't *know* what the author intended? Are you then allowed to
interpret whatever you want? Or are you banned from interpretation at all,
having no point of reference?

Robyn