reviews (but not of MC)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 13 22:25:56 EST 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:34:25 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

> > Someone on this list once mentioned having trouble with _A Dark
> > Winter_ because they disagreed with the author over who the main
> > character should have been - or was that you again?

> I think it was me.  It wasn't so much that I disagreed about who the
> main character should have been, but that I was far more interested
> in a different person and felt that her life and background would
> have made a more interesting book.

Yes, that sounds like what I remember, though I obviously could have
described it better.

> If I'd disagreed about the main character, I would have meant that
> the book itself implied that the real story was something other than
> what the author was telling.  I think.  It might be a too-subtle
> difference.

It can't be too-subtle, because I understand what you mean, and I'm no
good at subtle at all.  :)

> In that case, it wasn't so much _A Dark Winter_ that I disliked, but
> the sequels, which seemed to me awfully derivative (though I admit I
> am basing this judgement on the first few chapters and would be
> happy to be proven wrong).

I remember someone mentioning (at the launch for book three, I think)
that the author didn't intend to write a trilogy; _A Dark Winter_ was
all he set out to write, but the publisher wanted A Fantasy Trilogy.

I can't offer my own opinion on the sequels, because I still haven't
got my hands on a copy of _...Victory_ yet.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."