Waffles (was Re: LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC)))

Sat Dec 13 15:56:31 EST 2003

I'm trying to see how many parentheses I can embed in a subject line.  Three
isn't even close to a record.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:25:05 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>|On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:19:45 -0000, Charles Butler wrote:
>|
>|>Deborah:
>|>
>|>By 'waffle' you presumably mean 'fearlessly face the irreducible complexity
>|>of the issues involved', right? ;-)
>
>Er...
>
>|It means "stand still while we drench him in maple syrup and butter."
>|Naturally.
>
>Right!  Mmm, butter.
>
>(for the record, I do believe that author's intent is interesting and
>important for some type of readings; just not the types I do.

Me too--although I realize that the author's intent does matter to some of
the readings I do, but they are the societal kind.  I find it utterly
fascinating to read other writers' accounts of why they wrote what they did,
or how something came about...Orson Scott Card wrote about drawing the huge
huge map that was part of the genesis for _Hart's Hope_, and that was the
coolest thing ever.  Also this allows me to participate in books I'm never
going to read, for various reasons, like Stephen King's stuff because it is
Scary and I would Never Sleep Again if I read the actual books--but _On
Writing_ is just fabulous.

>Because
>all I care about is My Own Opinion, and the opinions of those who agree
>with me, duh.  And about waffles.  And butter.  And syrup.)

Stop drooling or you'll short out the server!

Since I am Allways Right, my own opinion is naturally the one that matters
most to me.  :)  And I haven't had waffles in years.  Literally.  Pancakes,
yes; French toast, occasionally; but waffles can only be cooked in very
small batches and half the family is dead from hunger before there is enough
to feed everyone.

Oh, do I need a waffle right now.

Melissa Proffitt
(clearly not producing content of any value right now)