LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

Sat Dec 13 15:25:13 EST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:14:34 -0500 (EST), <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

>On the other hand, I found it rather disturbing to have the obviously
>obsessive _In Memoriam_ interpreted as evidence that Tennyson was gay. :)

I have to say this was my reaction on reading the poem...but then that
really says more about us than Tennyson, doesn't it, that certain kinds of
love or affection between men *have* to indicate sexual attraction?

I think I would have been disturbed, if I were Tennyson's wife (and now I
can't even remember if he was married; it's not my favorite period of poetry
and I've repressed everything except _Lady of Shalott_ and _Ulysses_ because
they make for such great strong readings_) to see him pouring so much
affection out on Someone Else.  Maybe that also says too much about me.  :)

Melissa Proffitt