reviews (but not of MC)

Sat Dec 13 15:14:31 EST 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:34:25 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
>> The book may be a perfectly good one, but I could *not* get past the
>> fact that it wasn't following my expectations, so I hated it.
>> Anyone else ever have this problem?
>
>I can't remember it ever happening to me (although I expect it has at
>some point).
>
>Someone on this list once mentioned having trouble with _A Dark
>Winter_ because they disagreed with the author over who the main
>character should have been - or was that you again? The list archive
>has suddenly become unsearchable, so I can't check.

I think it was me.  It wasn't so much that I disagreed about who the main
character should have been, but that I was far more interested in a
different person and felt that her life and background would have made a
more interesting book.  If I'd disagreed about the main character, I would
have meant that the book itself implied that the real story was something
other than what the author was telling.  I think.  It might be a too-subtle
difference.

In that case, it wasn't so much _A Dark Winter_ that I disliked, but the
sequels, which seemed to me awfully derivative (though I admit I am basing
this judgement on the first few chapters and would be happy to be proven
wrong).  It had some very good qualities, but not enough to overcome the
fact that I felt no sympathy for the main character and would much rather
have been reading about the warrior/priestess woman and her order.

One far more spectacular example of not liking a book because it didn't meet
my expectations was, of course, _Dark Lord of Derkholm_.  I had come up with
an idea for a book based on people from our world traveling to a magical
fantasy world for quests--not enough of an idea to write it, but enough to
have played with plot ideas and characters--and _Dark Lord_ just never
addressed any of the things that *I* thought were important.  Sad, silly,
stubborn me.  :)

Melissa Proffitt