Stew (see scurvy)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Dec 13 10:44:34 EST 2003

Roger didn't explain:

>On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 02:02:18AM +0000, Minnow wrote:
>>Somebody once came up with a faux-magical explanation for instant stew
>>(possibly someone on this list, in which case could you explain it for me
>>again please?).  As far as I remember, you make your stew at leisure, at
>>home, then you put it in a container and get a handy wizard to teleport it
>>into orbit, in vacuum not the atmosphere, and bring it back after a
>>suitable interval.  Voila, freeze-dried dehydrated stew, just add boiling
>>water.
>
>You'd need to choose the container very carefully, so that it'd let the
>air and water vapour out quickly, but retain all the stew-fragments as
>they explode all over the place... tricky in a low-materials-tech world.

Heavy-duty muslin bag inside stewpot but outside stew, and teleport only
the stew-containing bag and not the metal or earthenware pot (which would
be easier anyway, I suppose, because the pot would be just so much added
weight)?  The teleportation would presumably be instantaneous, and could
also accurately replace the bag inside the stewpot on the return of the
stew from orbit.

The muslin bag would not be destroyed during the cooking process if the
stew were made properly (that is, simmered at a low temperature for many
hours); if the worst came to the worst and one had to make the stew over a
flame instead of in an oven, one could always *decant the stew* -- I know
that's advanced cookery, but presumably the makers of instant stew for sale
to Groups Of Companions would be in practice at their art.

(This may turn into the food thread yet, Hallie... hang on)

Do waffles have to have butter and syrup, or could they be used as a sort
of superior alternative to dumplings, and eaten as an accompaniment to
Instant Stew?  Is there a Savoury Waffle?  And how heavy is a waffle-iron,
in case one has to consider transporting one across the Trackless Waste?

Minnow