Hallam

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Dec 12 21:02:30 EST 2003

The Knowledge Pika wrote:

>On the other hand, I found it rather disturbing to have the obviously
>obsessive _In Memoriam_ interpreted as evidence that Tennyson was gay. :)

I thought it was that Hallam was gay or more likely bi, but Tennyson didn't
notice.  I forget which Prime Minister it was that Hallam was said also to
have had on a string (nor do I really care), but he seems to me not to have
been worth the obsession.

Is it really true that Tennyson insisted on spending his honeymoon at the
site of Hallam's grave?  If I'd've bin Mrs T I would have dropped him onto
the cold grey rocks below at that point, Break, Break, Break.

Minnow