the Kalevala

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 18:07:35 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/12/03 3:44:29 PM Central Standard Time, Otter Perry <
ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> writes:

> On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 07:26 PM, Ven wrote:
>
> > And this is a summary of the Kalevala, my search
> > skills failed to locate the entire text (which is
> > very long and I failed to finish).*
>
> I _did_ read the whole Kalevala in an incredibly irritating
> translation -- it's all in the meter familiar to folk of
> the USofA as that used by Longfellow in _Hiawatha_.
>
> ['This is the forest primeval, the murmuring pine and the hemlock']

Er, isn't that a different poem? "Evangeline" I think. Hiawatha is a
different meter entirely. Here's a bit I snagged (not a particularly good bit, in my
opinion, it just came handy via Google):

Downward through the evening twilight,
In the days that are forgotten,
In the unremembered ages,
>From the full moon fell Nokomis,