LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

mecha godscylla mechagodscylla at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:04:35 EST 2003

>From: Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca>
>To: dwj at suberic.net
>Subject: Re: LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))
>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:41:35 -0700
>

>>He wasn't making a point at all, just telling the story he had in him to
>>tell, is the way I read it: that it happens to include such things as
>>trying to behave well rather than badly (if you are a hobbit, trying to be
>>brave and do the job you have been landed with, for instance) may if one
>>chooses be taken as a Moral Message, but Tolkien was pretty firmly
>>determined that he Had Not Written An Allegory, and I'm prepared to take
>>his word for it that such was not his intent.
>
>Not to harp, but why is authorial intention a conclusive argument-ender to
>this discussion? I know Tolkien said the book wasn't an allegory, but it is
>damn easy to read as one. There seems to be some space here for debate:
>just because Tolkien made these pronouncements doesn't mean he's *right*.
>
>Robyn

Avoiding all questions of authorial intent (except the one about how I seem
to recall seeing it expressed as 'auctorial' intent in the long-ago before
all my critical theory books were destroyed in a **Flood.  Did my encounter
with the word 'auctorial' take place in a liminal zone?), I guess I'll just
toss this into the topic like a superball --- wasn't Tolkien setting out to
write *myth?*

Elise

** 'Flood' capitalized for purposes of mythic resonance

;)
;)