LotR (was Re: reviews (but not of MC))

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 12 12:41:35 EST 2003

>He wasn't making a point at all, just telling the story he had in him to
>tell, is the way I read it: that it happens to include such things as
>trying to behave well rather than badly (if you are a hobbit, trying to be
>brave and do the job you have been landed with, for instance) may if one
>chooses be taken as a Moral Message, but Tolkien was pretty firmly
>determined that he Had Not Written An Allegory, and I'm prepared to take
>his word for it that such was not his intent.

Not to harp, but why is authorial intention a conclusive argument-ender to
this discussion? I know Tolkien said the book wasn't an allegory, but it is
damn easy to read as one. There seems to be some space here for debate:
just because Tolkien made these pronouncements doesn't mean he's *right*.

Robyn