the Kalevala was Re: reviews (but not of MC)

Fri Dec 12 11:16:57 EST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:07:12 -0000, Belben, Philip ( Generation ) wrote:

>Can't remember who the translator was, but I do remember his five-line
>summary of the plot from the introduction:
>
>The Sampo gets forged, a rogue screws,
>There's a murder, a wedding, the Blues,
>   A serf bites the dust,
>   The Sampo gets bust,
>And Finland receives the Good News.

You know how sometimes you see something in passing that makes something
else make a whole lot more sense?  There's this awful MST3K movie (the
original is awful, not MST3K) that's all set in some Nordic country, makes
no sense, and the evil witch is always screaming "Where is the Sampo!"  Only
it never says what a Sampo is.  I feel so much better now.  Never having
read any part of the Kalevala except its title, I would have probably gone
to my grave wondering about this.  Undoubtedly the horrible movie is based
on it.

The movie is also the source of one of our favorite things to sing when one
of us screws up:

"He's a failure,
Total total failure,
What a loser,
Lalalalala!"

It loses something without the jaunty tune.

Melissa Proffitt