the Kalevala was Re: reviews (but not of MC)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Dec 12 10:31:10 EST 2003

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 07:26 PM, Ven wrote:

> And this is a summary of the Kalevala, my search
> skills failed to locate the entire text (which is
> very long and I failed to finish).*

I _did_ read the whole Kalevala in an incredibly irritating
translation -- it's all in the meter familiar to folk of
the USofA as that used by Longfellow in _Hiawatha_.

['This is the forest primeval, the murmuring pine and the hemlock']

I know there are more recent translations, because
I bought one, but I haven't read it.  In fact, the state of
my library and my possessions being what it is, I have
no idea whether I still own it.

On another paw, I _do_ still own all my DWJ.  I tried
converting to paperbacks to save space, and then
I read _The Eight Days of Luke_ and discovered that
my paperback didn't have the helpful explanatory
notes at the end.  So I wrested my hardbacks back
from the friend I'd  given them to and gave her the
paperbacks instead.  _She_ doesn't care as much.