reviews (but not of MC)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 15:08:38 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>
> >I would disagree with the statement
> >that Tolkien doesn't give his world a God.
>
> So would Tolkien, at a guess!  The first
> sentence of the Silmarillion might be a bit
> of a giveaway on the subject, I would have
> thought.
>
> But perhaps anyone who makes such a strange
> claim hasn't read the Silmarillion.
>
> Oh dear.  What a pity.
>
> obDWJ, she doesn't seem to go in for One God
> much.  There are small-g gods in the Dalemark
> books, but on the whole not theology or a
> single God who created everything.
>
> In fact, I'm now feeling a bit pressed to
> think of many books for a non-adult reader-
> ship that *do* go in for God as opposed to
> gods, at least in the fantasy/magic area.
> Apart from C.S. Lewis, it seems you can have
> magic or you can have God but mostly you
> won't get both.
>
> (Apart from *The Little White Horse*, which
> is based in a Christian sort-of-historical
> England, so I'm not sure it counts...)

There is a whole sub-genre of Christian fantasy out
there that never makes it into regular bookshops (or
onto best-seller lists, despite sales that should put
it there)(except for Lawhead), but the only examples
I've seen are aimed at adults. This is not to say YA
examples don't exist, however the fuss from the
Christian Right over Harry Potter (why don't the say
the same for Pullman?) has perhaps scared off any
potential authors - and the Christian bookshops that
sell them. Other than that I'd have a hard job trying
to think of some in the mainstream of YA fantasy,
although I know I did on another list a few years ago.

Jon