reviews (but not of MC)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 14:59:06 EST 2003

--- Chris R <sfa_ok2001 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>  Jon wrote:
> >
> > >I would disagree with the statement
> > >that Tolkien doesn't give his world a God.
> Minnow:
> > So would Tolkien, at a guess!  The first
> > sentence of the Silmarillion might be a bit
> > of a giveaway on the subject, I would have
> > thought.
> >
> > But perhaps anyone who makes such a strange
> > claim hasn't read the Silmarillion.
> >
> > Oh dear.  What a pity.
>
> He doesn't go in much for organised religion,
> though,
> so someone who'd read only the Lord of the Rings
> might
> be forgiven for thinking Eru had created the world,
> then just wandered off. Before he got around to
> thinking up any lists of laws, even. :) The
> reviewer's
> point might stand if he said that Tolkien didn't
> give
> his world an active or present God, or an organised
> religion.

I think JRRT would disagree with you on the active God
bit, but I'm sure I read him saying he deliberately
left out any reference to organised religion, the
closest is probably the bit where Faramir and his men
face West at sunset (or was it some other time of the
day) and the vague suggestion of a Holy day of the
week (Highday). There are a few more obvious
suggestions of a God working behind the scenes (Frodo
was meant to find the ring etc.)

Jon