reviews (but not of MC)

Thu Dec 11 11:35:15 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:09:52 +0000, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>In fact, I'm now feeling a bit pressed to
>think of many books for a non-adult reader-
>ship that *do* go in for God as opposed to
>gods, at least in the fantasy/magic area.
>Apart from C.S. Lewis, it seems you can have
>magic or you can have God but mostly you
>won't get both.

I know I can think of a very few if I try, because it's something that
stands out for me when I read, but nothing jumps to mind right now.

One thing that authors sometimes do is create a pantheon that has been
created by the One God.  The Creator is never worshipped, only referred to,
and ordinary people may not even be aware of his existence.  The other gods
run the show in a Greek-deity fashion.  Thinking about it, I realize that
this is quite similar to several creation myths of our world, but the
difference is that the One God is not a relic of the past that the current
gods defeated, but a being of great power who has other things to do.

The P.C. Hodgell books begin with the contrast between a race of
God-worshippers and the people of the world they find themselves on, who
have thousands of Terry Pratchett-style gods defined by human belief.  The
main character's understanding of her God changes through the series, which
is a little frustrating because it comes close to looking as though Hodgell
changed her mind about stuff rather than that her character is maturing.
It's still an interesting commentary on faith and sin--if sin is
specifically meant as acting against God's commandments and not the same
thing as evil.

Melissa Proffitt