Nyronds (was Re: review of Merlin Conspiracy)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Dec 11 08:53:23 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|obDWJ again, one of ML's books mentioned above (I can't remember which)

Harpy's Flight

|contains the Ultimate Instant Stew: the heroine for reasons I won't go into
|(because I can't remember them)

Because she's stubborn and her life sucks, mostly.  How very
Lindholm/Hobb.

|has set off with a wagon and horses to go
|through an impassible pass in the worst of the winter, and camps for the
|night quite early in the afternoon.  She puts snow in the kettle and boils
|it up, makes a cup of tea, has a fight with someone who is trying to steal
|one of the horses, beats him, makes him a cup of tea, adds more snow, dried
|meat and some veg to the kettle and then with her opponent's help grooms
|the horses.  As far as I remember, the stew is ready to eat by the time the
|horses are settled for the night and the tea has become cool enough to
|drink (though the tea-drinking may happen a little earlier than the actual
|stew).

Though at least this scene is funny (in the dark Harpy's Flight way),
which give it several up on all of

Eddings' instant stew scenes!
-deborah
--
There were green alligators, and long necked geese
Humpty-backed camels and chimpanzees