reviews (but not of MC)

Belben, Philip ( Generation ) Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 04:23:19 EST 2003

Minnow, quoting Jon:

>>I would disagree with the statement
>>that Tolkien doesn't give his world a God.
>
> So would Tolkien, at a guess!  The first
> sentence of the Silmarillion might be a bit
> of a giveaway on the subject, I would have
> thought.
>
> But perhaps anyone who makes such a strange
> claim hasn't read the Silmarillion.

Well, I tried three times to read the Silmarillion, and managed only a
chapter or so each time, so I've rather given up on that one...  So I
can't comment about Tolkien's treatment of God in his work.

> In fact, I'm now feeling a bit pressed to
> think of many books for a non-adult reader-
> ship that *do* go in for God as opposed to
> gods, at least in the fantasy/magic area.

And very little adult fantasy, for that matter!

Tanith Lee has God rather than gods in "The Winter Players", but I can't
think of much else in children's fantasy.  ObDWJ, I did like the way
that Gwyn ap Nud (or however you spell that!) in The Merlin Conspiracy
was a clergyman.

(On the adult side, though, the treatment of God was almost the _only_
thing I liked about Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books)

Philip.

by those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any distribution or copying without our prior permission is
Prohibited.

Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the

Registered addresses:

Registered in England & Wales No. 2366923.