review of Merlin Conspiracy

mecha godscylla mechagodscylla at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:03:27 EST 2003

Melissa:

Mostly when I see reviewers referring to hordes of fans, it's quite
negative--as though only hack fiction elicits such a huge response, and true
quality fiction is appreciated only by the select few.  There *should* be
hordes of fans for the greatest literature, though.  I blame English
teachers.  :)

Hmm good point - I didn't think of that.  Err, I mean when reviewers do that
condescending equation of popularity with lack of quality.  I'm afraid to
touch the topic of what really constitutes quality fiction, but I will say
that it often seems to me that when I am browsing the books packaged as
'quality fiction,' I am often overcome with a strange torpor and deep-seated
reluctance to to read further.

Hi to you too!  Every time I see you as "mecha godscylla" it reads as
Godzilla, so there's more stampeding imagery for you...you haven't been
terrorizing Tokyo lately, have you?

:)

My sister used to say that playing Godzilla would be the best job - stomp
around in a monster suit destroying model cities and roaring.  Does it get
any better than that?  Can you really ever have a 'bad' day at work?

But the genesis of my hotmail address had to do with inventing a persona,
and a hotmail address, on the spot when a nosy publication wanted details
before allowing me to subscribe.  I'm sure in an alternate universe perhaps
I really am a 12 year old boy with an interest in the NY Times Style section
and stories on white collar crime....

Elise