reviews (but not of MC)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 16:09:52 EST 2003

Jon wrote:

>I would disagree with the statement
>that Tolkien doesn't give his world a God.

So would Tolkien, at a guess!  The first
sentence of the Silmarillion might be a bit
of a giveaway on the subject, I would have
thought.

But perhaps anyone who makes such a strange
claim hasn't read the Silmarillion.

Oh dear.  What a pity.

obDWJ, she doesn't seem to go in for One God
much.  There are small-g gods in the Dalemark
books, but on the whole not theology or a
single God who created everything.

In fact, I'm now feeling a bit pressed to
think of many books for a non-adult reader-
ship that *do* go in for God as opposed to
gods, at least in the fantasy/magic area.
Apart from C.S. Lewis, it seems you can have
magic or you can have God but mostly you
won't get both.

(Apart from *The Little White Horse*, which
is based in a Christian sort-of-historical
England, so I'm not sure it counts...)

Minnow