review of Merlin Conspiracy

Wed Dec 10 12:36:50 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:28:32 +0000, mecha godscylla wrote:

>Melissa said:
>That's a more positive accolade than I would have expected from a paragraph
>that began with "hordes of DWJ fans."  :)  Very cool.
>

>Hi Melissa!  That phrase put you off a bit?  I had to chuckle because it put
>me in a pleasant reverie, imagining teeming masses of DWJ fans.  Even better
>than hordes, I thought of stampeding hordes, brandishing copies of DWJ
>works.  What would their rallying cry be, I wonder.
>
>Admit, it is a charming image!

YOURS is.  It conjures up scenes from movies (or possibly the one from a
Buffy episode) where hundreds of people stampede down a city street, most of
them waving things in the air, chasing after a lone person who had no idea
what he or she had started.

Alternatively, the running of the bulls at Pamplona, but it just doesn't
feel the same somehow....

Mostly when I see reviewers referring to hordes of fans, it's quite
negative--as though only hack fiction elicits such a huge response, and true
quality fiction is appreciated only by the select few.  There *should* be
hordes of fans for the greatest literature, though.  I blame English
teachers.  :)

Hi to you too!  Every time I see you as "mecha godscylla" it reads as
Godzilla, so there's more stampeding imagery for you...you haven't been
terrorizing Tokyo lately, have you?

Melissa Proffitt