Nyronds (was Re: review of Merlin Conspiracy)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 12:01:09 EST 2003

Sallyo exclaimed:

>----- > excellent tracks; and Pat Brown's cover version of his "Sam's Song"
>> on her tape *Windsinger*, is just purely beautiful.
>Windsinger??? My new book is called that! Aghhhhh!
>http://www.wordgarland.com/windsinger.htm

Um, the song for which the tape is named was written as a response to Megan
Lindholm's trilogy *Harpy's Flight* (1983), *The Windsingers* (1984) and
*The Limbreth Gate* (1984), collected as *The Windsingers* in 1986 (in the
UK at least).  I don't think an (undeservedly) obscure filk tape is any
reason to worry about Windsingers, on that basis.  And anyhow titles are
not copyrightable, are they?

>Sallyo (writing as someone else in that particualr case for Obvious
>Reasons.)

Megan Lindholm writes as someone else too!  :-)

obDWJ again, one of ML's books mentioned above (I can't remember which)
contains the Ultimate Instant Stew: the heroine for reasons I won't go into
(because I can't remember them) has set off with a wagon and horses to go
through an impassible pass in the worst of the winter, and camps for the
night quite early in the afternoon.  She puts snow in the kettle and boils
it up, makes a cup of tea, has a fight with someone who is trying to steal
one of the horses, beats him, makes him a cup of tea, adds more snow, dried
meat and some veg to the kettle and then with her opponent's help grooms
the horses.  As far as I remember, the stew is ready to eat by the time the
horses are settled for the night and the tea has become cool enough to
drink (though the tea-drinking may happen a little earlier than the actual
stew).

This may or may not have been in part the inspiration for the entry on Stew
in the Tough Guide; it certainly led to DWJ and Pat Wrede spending a lot of
time swapping stew-stories and stew-incidents on one occasion.

Minnow