review of Merlin Conspiracy

Tue Dec 9 22:41:24 EST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:06:50 -0800 (PST), Jon Noble wrote:

>The Merlin Conspiracy (Collins) will please the hordes
>of Diana Wynne Jones fans. For everyone else, expect
>interdimensional travel, strong magic, memorable
>characters and dynamic plotting crafted by a born
>storyteller.

That's a more positive accolade than I would have expected from a paragraph
that began with "hordes of DWJ fans."  :)  Very cool.

I have been tinkering with my book database, adding awards and nominations,
and was surprised at how many DWJ titles had come up for the Mythopoeic
award.  Granted, I know very little about it, so I probably shouldn't have
been surprised--and certainly the quality of her work is such that it
deserves recognition--but I think it made me realize that I still expect to
be in an elite minority when it comes to appreciating DWJ.  As if nobody but
us chickens here reads her stuff....

Melissa Proffitt