dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #761

Sarah sarah-neko at dove.gen.nz
Mon Dec 8 17:00:20 EST 2003

> Thanks, Chris! Gosh, Ancient Greek is really quite easy, isn't it?
> Don't
> know why those classicists make such a fuss about it... :-)
>
> Charlie

Classical Yob Greek, anyway *^.^*
I once made a 'translation' on another sheet of paper (with the help of
a computer font that used the Greek characters) and tucked it into my
library copy of 'The Ogre Downstairs' before returning it, so the next
reader could benefit from my discovery.

> Ever read the Introduction to Walter de la Mare's anthology *Come
> Hither*,
> with its story of Nahum Tarune's adventures in the house of Thrae? It's
> great, but I've a feeling you'd see through the allegory a tad too
> soon.
>
> Hey - you don't suppose Harry is really short for Harriet? That
> *would* be a
> twist for the final book - and
> explain why he seems so drawn to the girls' toilets in *The Chamber of
> Secrets*.
>
> Charlie (now getting on with his work - promise)

Perhaps, like Princess Ozma, Harriet was turned into Harry as a means
of disguising/protecting her? *snicker*
I actually had an idea for a story once that was not a million miles
from this, but held back from doing anything with it because writing
Potterfic would be anathema to my soul. Foolishly I mentioned an
outline of the idea on one of my webpages and someone else who couldn't
spell started writing the story badly, with clumsy attempts at humour,
on fanfiction.net. Bah! Gah! Doh!
The best part was that she 'acknowledged' my origination by writing 'I
got the idea for this on some webpage I don't remember where.' She felt
this was a sufficient sop that I had no right to be indignant at her
flagrant story-pinching. I only found out about it at all because an
altruistic third party figured out the connection and tipped me off.

E you later,
Déesse
(the artist formerly known as Sarah-neko)

http://www.airandangels.com/
Air and Angels Anime Shrines