review of Merlin Conspiracy

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 02:48:45 EST 2003

>Now is it just me, or is this a misreading of the so-called attraction? I
>thought Nick was clearly attracted to Roddy, but not because I was told so.
>Plus, I thought Roddy was not equally attracted to Nick. I wonder about
>Nick's standout characteristic being "handsome"; I thought if one were to
>be reductive, one would go with "selfish".

So would I, but then I have read Deep Secret and that might make a
difference – Nick is drawn very clearly in that book. We could be "carrying
over" characterisation that isn't clear to someon who meets Nick for the
first time. (I didn't quite understand Roddy and in fact found her vaguely
annoying.)

As for the attraction, I'm with you. Nick is a lot more attracted to Roddy
than vice versa. Perhaps the reviewer reads it as two-sided because
conventionally, it *should* be two-sided, and she can't grasp that DWJ
wouldn't write it that way.

Katta