another topic

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 13:55:03 EST 2003

Emma Comerford <emmaco at tpg.com.au> writes:

After reading the book Deborah mentioned, I became very suspicious and
started never
assuming gender in a book. I think Megan Whalen Turner's "The Thief" doesn't
make it clear
forthe first chunk of the book (but haven't re-read it for a while).
Yes, I had this definite feeling as I started the book "The author is trying
to do something clever here," and that was the first thing I thought she might
be doing, i.e. disguising the sex of the main character. But then it became
obvious that that wasn't the specific clever thing she was trying to do (not
that I knew until later what it actually *was*).

Helen Schinske