Identity criseses? #2

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Dec 5 12:32:22 EST 2003

Irina Rempt wrote:
>On Friday 05 December 2003 01:42, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>> There are at least thirty place-Waltons as well as the person of that
>> surname whom it might have been, and whoever said it might have meant
>> any one of them, so it wasn't a very helpful definition.  Who did say
>> it?  That might give a hint.  I mean, if whoeveritwas came from
>> Ipswich then Walton on the Naze, being just west of *there*, might be
>> the one.  :-)
>It was a small woman from Plymouth at a Star Trek convention in
>Liverpool in 1984 or 1985 (the only con I've ever been to) whose name I
>remember as Carole, though it's likely to be something entirely
>different, seeing that I misremembered 'Walton' - it was 'Watford'.
>Probably Watford, Herts., and there's rather a lot west of there.

"North of Watford" is a catch-phrase, isn't it, as in "the North begins
at Watford", so if Gytha happened to be west of it at the time (which
Liverpool is and I assume she was at the con if it was a Trek con at
the Adelphi, but then it is also north of Watford)...

Not to be confused with Watford Gap, where the North also begins, nor
the end of the Edgware Road, ditto.

>I was probably subconsciously thinking of Jo Walton after all when my
>fingers typed it. (Who is west of Watford, seeing that she's currently
>living in Canada)

That's whom I thought you might've. She might have been standing east of
Gytha at the time.  :-)

Minnow