dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #755

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Dec 5 10:11:29 EST 2003

Dorian:

>  > Perhaps having copyeditors at the publishers instead of spellcheckers
>>  might help.
>
>Oh, so true!  I'm still boggling at the chick-lit novel Hallie gave me, in
>which the heroine somehow managed to cross the Atlantic in a 737, which
>ought by rights to have run out of fuel and crashed about halfway (and, if
>it had done what it ought, would have shortened the book by about 200 pages
>and made this reader, at least, very happy).

<whimpers> You need to mention that Hallie gave you the book to
dispose of, *not* to read, as it was signed and so couldn't be
disposed of around here. :)  (I had to buy the book as I was at the
book-launch, and don't think I came close to finishing it.)

>  I assumed at the time that the
>(Irish) publisher only had one copyeditor, and he/she was occupied on
>another (more prestigious author's) book at the time.

And now said author would be the 'more prestigious' in most
comparisons, I'd bet, being on her third bestseller.  However, I
won't knock her, as she got Dorian, Cara and me free into DWJ's talk,
saving us - what? well over 100 quid each? In other words, allowing
us to go.

And if anyone wants pain, I'll inflict an Irish chick-lit book on
him/her/them which (from the 3 or so pages I read, at least) will
make the one Dorian describes seem like the height of literary
fiction!  (Bought at Oxfam in a very feeble-minded moment, for
BookCrossing.)

Hallie.