It's a Baby! (was Re: Another topic)

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 4 21:59:55 EST 2003

Quoting deborah <deborah at suberic.net>:

> Actually, this is the weirdest one.  I have several friends named
> "Rebecca" who go by a variety of nicknames.  Only two of them go by
> "Rebecca".  For a variety of reasons, I call one of the
> Rebeccas "Colorwheel".  And lately, I find myself occasionally calling
> the other Rebecca "Colorwheel".  Some slot in my brain has decided that
> "Colorwheel" is another way to say "Rebecca".  Very strange.

I know an even weirder one. I work with a woman called Jocelyn (usually "Jos") but she says
that at a few different, unrelated places in her life she has been called Bronwyn instead. And
she's had two different surnames so that can't be misleading people either! Very strange to
have people assume you are really called something quite different to your real name. Maybe
it's the "yn" at the end that confuses people?