(need for) Another topic

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Dec 4 19:00:27 EST 2003

Minnow said...

> This is what has happened in this road.  We moved here *because* there
were
> trees, among other reasons.  We didn't realise that as each house changed
> hands, the new owner would cut down the trees.  We also didn't think
> (because it's listed buildings) that the front walls of the front gardens
> were not listed, so as each new owner gets going, it (use of word
> deliberate) pulls down the front wall, paves over the front lawn, and thus
> reserves a parking space for its car 24/7 and prevents anyone else from
> parking in that bit of the road.
>
> *sigh*

It's very simple.  Other People are Bad and Wrong, and ought not to be
allowed.

Patrick and I are currently redecorating our sitting room.  Now, the
previous owners of our house had an appalling penchant for pine-look
wood-grain effect paint.  They covered every interior door (except, for some
reason, the bathroom door) with the stuff.  Drunk on this success, they then
assaulted the kitchen cupboards with it (cupboards which in their natural
state are a perfectly pleasant oak veneer).  Once they'd done that, I can
only assume they were high as kites on the fumes, for they then proceeded to
slather it all over the fireplace.

Not being fans of cacky wood-grain effect paint, we decided to strip the
shit off the fireplace, fully expecting to repaint it in some more palatable
mode.  Hallie was there when Patrick decided the Nitromors had had enough
time to work, and took a scraper to the mantelpiece, and can thus attest to
his stunned expression as he said, "I think this is marble!"

We all got up to look and touch.  Yes, our predecessors *painted* a very
nice marble fireplace with possibly the nastiest paint in existence!

I say again, Other People are Bad and Wrong!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian (wondering now what other abominations they perpetrated).
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
- Horace Walpole