Another topic

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Dec 4 18:57:50 EST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Emma Comerford wrote:

> After reading the book Deborah mentioned, I became very suspicious and
> started never assuming gender in a book. I think Megan Whalen Turner's
> "The Thief" doesn't make it clear forthe first chunk of the book (but
> haven't re-read it for a while).

...and in fact, I was quite suspicious when I read the book. It turned out
that that was not, in fact, the twist everyone had been referring to. :^)

Perhaps it's sort of like how I read all gibberish backwards, in case it's
clever gibberish. This is why the Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter was not
a surprise to me as it was to Harry.

Also, re not assuming gender: Marion Zimmer Bradley does quite a
good job in _Lythande_ of concealing gender, without making it at all
obvious that that's what she'd doing.

SMOKING IS NOW ALLOWED !!!
       Anyone wishing to smoke, however, must file, in
       triplicate, the U. S. government Environmental
       Impact Narrative Statement (EINS), describing
       in detail the type of combustion proposed, impact
       on the environment, and anticipated opposition.
       Statements must be filed 30 days in advance.