sadly ignorant

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Dec 4 18:51:25 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:38:33PM -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>Deborah said...
>>  . I've not yet read it, but boyfriend recs China Mieville's _Perdido
>>  Street Station_ as dark adult steampunk.
>I weigh in on the other side to say that I thought that book was terrible!

I agree with you entirely - to me it seemed self-consciously arty, which
becomes pretentious very quickly. I was hoping that the characters would
meet the fates they evidently deserved, but alas no such luck...

It is very much the sort of book that critics like, and many of my
friends have also enjoyed it. For me it had nothing to offer.

For steampunk, let me add the anime series _Last Exile_, which has many
of the relevant elements and looks very good to boot.

Roger