dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #755

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Dec 4 18:28:20 EST 2003

Jenne said...

> Perhaps having copyeditors at the publishers instead of spellcheckers
> might help.

Oh, so true!  I'm still boggling at the chick-lit novel Hallie gave me, in
which the heroine somehow managed to cross the Atlantic in a 737, which
ought by rights to have run out of fuel and crashed about halfway (and, if
it had done what it ought, would have shortened the book by about 200 pages
and made this reader, at least, very happy).  I assumed at the time that the
(Irish) publisher only had one copyeditor, and he/she was occupied on
another (more prestigious author's) book at the time.

I want to be a copyeditor.  I have the right kind of nit-picking mind.

> Which leads to really interesting effects when an untrammelled
> spellchecker is let loose on Regency Romances.... *sigh*

The mind boggles!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
- Horace Walpole