(need for) Another topic

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Dec 4 18:22:03 EST 2003

Jon said...

> I hate the needless cutting down of trees.

Me too.  In general.  I make an honourable exception for cupressuses, known
to many of you, I'm sure, as leylandii.  They are evil, horrible, bad and
wrong, and probably a creation of Old Nick.  They are ugly, they grow way
too fast, their owners *never* think to trim them until it's far too late,
and they don't even compost!  I took great pleasure, when we moved into this
house, in pulling up the (young-ish) specimens in our back garden and
planting a birch instead.

> Our council
> last year cut down a number of Casurina (a species
> non-Australian list members are unlikely to know - so
> just pretend)

Dublin City Council, for reasons best known to itself, has cut down half the
trees (sycamores, IIRC) down the centre of O'Connell Street.  Big,
beautiful, old, healthy trees.  And what do we get in exchange?  A
completely useless giant spike which I'm convinced is our Taoiseach's
over-compensation.  Fnih.

> On the other hand some Australian
> councils have taken to replacing trees cut down/killed
> on public lands by people trying to "improve" their
> views with ugly billboards with messages on them about
> the importance of keeping trees. The signs remain
> until a replacemnet tree has grown.

Now, *that's* a good idea!

> For our house we kept as many trees as possible, and
> on 6,500 square metres (an acre and a half) we have
> plenty. There are 12 trees - four of which are
> substantial (over 25 metres tall) within a metre of
> hour house.

Our house came with (besides the Evil Leylandii) a rowan and a something
else that we never figured out what it was.  But whatever it was, it
suddenly dropped dead this summer.  It must have been at least 20 years old,
and was a handsome tree with very nice multicoloured leaves.  Now we're
going to have to chop down its carcase, and find some new tree to plant.  I
want a hawthorn.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long
with another person."
- Horace Walpole