It's a Baby! (was Re: Another topic)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 14:46:57 EST 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Deborah wrote:
>
> >I've been told that as a very young child, I once,
> when called by the
> >wrong name, protested  quite seriously to my
> father, "No!  My name is
> >I-mean-Debbie!"  As in "Linda I-mean-Debbie" or
> "Michelle
> >I-mean-Debbie".
>
> I was summoned for many years with "Max - Mar - Rupe
> - dashit[myname]" by
> my mother.  My two *brothers* were Max and Martin;
> Rupert was the *dog*!
>
> >-deborah, youngest of three girls, who will kick
> you in the shins if you
> >call her "Debbie"
>
> Minnow, youngest of three but a different sex from
> the other two and you'd
> think a mother ought to be able to tell one of her
> children is a girl.

I'm so glad to read all this, it happens in my wife's
family all the time, from my wife, her sister and her
mother, they all just seem to pick a random family
members' name of either gender for anyone in the
family they happen to be addressing. As for me, I've
gotten into the habit of avoiding names wherever
possible because I'm terrible at remembering them (a
bad trait for a teacher), when I do remember the names
of kids at school it is so often the name of the
naughtiest member of the family so I call kids by the
name of their elder, often in trouble, brother.

Jon